Durant Plant
Oakland, California 1922

Plant as it appears today while undergoing a Multi-million dollar renovation The plant is located at the corner of International & Durant Blvd on the San Leandro, Oakland border.

First Oakland Car made in 1922
Building Left Front Assembly Line  Water Tower
Durant Avenue Power Generator  Shopping

 Factory Tour as described by tour program

Artist View of Remodeled Factory
2002 PG1 2002 PG2 2002 PG3
2002 PG4 2002 PG5 2002 PG6
2002 PG7 2002 PG8 2002 PG9

West Coast Dealerships

Livermore, California Dealership

Oakland, California Dealership

East Coast Dealerships

Durant Square 2006

 In Oakland, where Western automotive progress started in 1915 through the selection by W.C. Durant and Norman DeVaux of a factory site for the Chevrolet Motor Company, are located in this group of more prominent builders: Chevrolet Motor Company, Fisher Body Corporation, Durant Motor Company of California, and the future home of Chrysler Motors. Adjacent to Oakland are the sites of the Ford Motor Company, in Richmond, and the Dodge Brothers truck assembly plant, a division of Chrysler Motors, in Stockton. San Francisco and Portland are the homes of production warehouses of the Ford Motor Company. The mammoth DeVaux controlled Durant factory in Oakland is Typical of the operations of the Western car-building plant. Parts, motors, electrical systems, etc., are received by rail and water shipments from Lansing, Michigan. With scientifically geared production lines for body building, body finishing and upholstering, and chassis construction-material is built up step by step, into complete motor cars that are then driven off the line under their own power.

Testing grounds are adjacent to the factory, and from this point Durant automobiles are loaded into freight cars, crated for ocean shipment, loaded on carrier-trucks for highway delivery, or taken by dealers in “drive-aways”. At this Western Durant plant also are administrative officers who control the manufacture and sales promotion for the West, and also for export trade. Approximately, five hundred Durant dealers and distributors look to this Western plant for cars, authorized parts and advertising support.

From a 1931 article printed in the Oakland Tribune

 Back to Home Page